What is Fibromyalgia Syndrome?
What are the manifestations of fibromyalgia syndrome
1. What are the characteristics of fibromyalgia syndrome?
Mainly include 4 features
1. Widespread pain in the whole body. The pain is diffuse. Among them, neck and shoulder, hip, and spine pain are more common, and the pain will be aggravated by tension, fatigue, and cold, and cannot be relieved by rest or medication.
2. With sleep disturbance and fatigue, 80% of patients feel fatigued, and 90% of patients have sleep disturbance.
3. Mental symptoms, 20%-40% of patients, feel anxious and depressed, 30%-50% of patients will have symptoms of cognitive impairment, irritable bowel syndrome, headache, palpitations, and distraction .
Fourth, joint symptoms, some patients have morning stiffness and joint pain, but no obvious joint swelling.
2. What is special about fibromyalgia syndrome in pain and fatigue symptoms?
The patient will experience pain. However, it is difficult to locate the exact location of the pain, and most patients describe the pain as soreness, which is mild and cannot be relieved by rest. Fatigue, also the most common symptom, is constant fatigue that doesn’t get better when you wake up in the morning.
3. What is the relationship between fibromyalgia syndrome and sleep?
Many patients have sleep problems, having difficulty falling asleep or waking up frequently during the night. Some patients are often in a light sleep state during sleep, the brain cannot get enough rest, and the body cannot get self-repair and timely replenishment, resulting in a vicious circle. Poor sleep exacerbates pain, which in turn further affects sleep quality.
How to diagnose fibromyalgia?
1. Which department should I go to for diagnosis and treatment?
Fibromyalgia syndrome is a rheumatic disease and can be referred to the rheumatology department. Once diagnosed, you can apply for consultation, including neurology, rheumatology, pain, physical therapy, medical psychology, rehabilitation medicine, etc.
2. How should I check?
The etiology of fibromyalgia syndrome is unknown, and it is not accompanied by organ damage. Currently, there is no specific examination and diagnosis instrument. Your doctor will give you a routine examination, as well as evaluation scales such as fMRI, visual analogue scale for pain, and Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire.
3. What is the difference between fibromyalgia syndrome and muscle pain after exercise?
After exercising, muscle soreness due to lactic acid accumulation can be relieved after rest. Many patients with fibromyalgia also feel soreness, but this pain does not occur after exercise and is generally not relieved by rest.
Fibromyalgia syndromeHow to treat?
1. What are the drugs for fibromyalgia syndrome?
Pain relievers (tramadol), antidepressants (such as amitriptyline), sedative-hypnotics, pregabalin, analgesics (such as tramadol), etc. are all common medications for treatment. Your doctor will start with a small dose of the drug, depending on the situation. In addition, patients can also try physical therapy such as water bath therapy, cognitive therapy, and functional exercise.
2. Does taking medicine have serious side effects?
Adverse reactions occur in a certain proportion. Choose drugs suitable for the condition, and take them in strict accordance with the prescribed dosage. When the condition improves, the medication can be appropriately reduced or discontinued. When more serious side effects occur, the attending doctor should be communicated in time.